Gain the Edge: Negotiation Strategies for Lawyers
Thursday, February 21, 2013
- Location -
Concierge Conference Center
780 Third Avenue (at 48th Street)
New York, NY 10017
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
7.0 MCLE Credits: 5.0 Skills; 2.0 Ethics
Strategies, Techniques and Tactics You’ll
- Latz’s 5 Golden Rules of
- Ways to block tough
- Methods to maximize your
- 10 countermeasures for
- Secrets to the successful
- Techniques for successful
EVERY DAY. In fact, your ability to effectively negotiate may
be the most critical skill you possess. Yet most negotiate instinctively
or intuitively. This seminar will help you approach negotiations with a
strategic mindset. No matter how much you’ve
negotiated, you can still learn! Adding that one new tactic may
be the difference between winning and walking away empty-handed.
Marty will help make YOU a more effective
expert Marty Latz, Founder of the Latz Negotiation Institute, has
trained over 50,000 lawyers and business professionals around the world
to more effectively negotiate. He is the author of Gain the Edge!® Negotiating to Get
What You Want (St. Martin’s Press, 2004) and has appeared as a
negotiation expert on CBS’ The Early Show and such national
business shows as Your Money and First Business.
Introduction – The “Car Negotiation Story”
9:10 – 10:30 a.m.
Discuss Latz’s Golden Rules of Negotiation, including:
• Setting aggressive – yet realistic – goals
• Information is power – so get it!
• Using objective criteria with “tough negotiators”
• Offer and concession strategies, including 1st offer issues
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45– 11:30 a.m.
Negotiation Strategies, including:
• Increasing leverage by finding alternatives
• Controlling the negotiation agenda
• Using timing and deadlines to your advantage
11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Prepare to Negotiate Simulation, including:
• Learning information-gathering techniques
• Analyzing interests vs. positions
• Creatively generating options
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
(on your own)
1:00 – 1:30 p.m.
Negotiation Simulation and Debriefing
1:30 – 2:40 p.m.
Analyze Negotiation Simulation, including:
• Competitive vs. problem-solving techniques
• Future relationship issues
• Impasse-breaking strategies
2:40 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
2:50 – 4:30
Oil Pricing Exercises and Ethics Discussion, including:
• Dealing with untrustworthy negotiators
• Ethical negotiation issues
• “Puffery” vs. ethically unacceptable lying
Between 48th and 49th Street Using Public Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, S
Subway to Grand Central Station Walk one block East to Third Ave,
continue North on Third Ave to 48th Street Take the E, V Subway to
Lexington Ave/53rd Street. Walk one block East to Third Ave, continue
South to 49th Street
The last day to pre-register online was February 20, 2013.
Members, please login to get member discounts.
Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities:
NYSBA welcomes participation by individuals with disabilities. NYSBA is committed to complying with all applicable laws that prohibit discrimination against individuals on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of its goods, services, programs, activities, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations. To request auxiliary aids or services or if you have any questions regarding accessibility, please
contact Cindy O'Brien at 800-582-2452 or firstname.lastname@example.org.