Black Bar Association of Bronx County,
Brooklyn Women's Bar Association, Korean American Lawyers Association of
Greater New York, Latino Lawyers Association of Queens County, Long
Island Hispanic Bar, Association, Metropolitan Black Bar Association,
Muslim Bar Association of New York, New York Women's Bar Association,
Nigerian Lawyers Association, Queens County Women’s Bar
Association and the South Asian Bar Association.
Want to learn more about
building and growing your practice? During this program, panelists will
share tips for building a successful practice in New York. The program
will cover an array of topics from controlling paperwork to managing
employees. Speakers will help you move forward with growing your
Detailed written materials will
accompany the presentations. Ample time has been built into
the program allowing you to network with fellow practitioners.
This year’s program will conclude with an interactive Question and
Answer Segment. Get the answers you need to
– should you grow, merge or stay the same
How to run your practice
Tips for managing employees
How to leverage the Internet
and social media to your advantage
8:30 a.m. – 9:00
– 9:15 a.m.
and Welcoming Remarks
– 10:30 a.m.
Considerations: Grow, Merge, or Stay the Same
–Where Do You Go From
• The legal organization of your
• Developing a budget
• Is it time to take on a partner?
• Opening a satellite office
• Cost-effective ways to market your
– 10:45 a.m.
– 12:00 p.m.
• Predominant ethics rules - what solos and small firms are likely to
• Turning down an engagement – what to tell that
• Referring clients – do’s and
• Firing the client -- doing it right
• Avoiding malpractice claims and disciplinary
• Knowing when to seek outside help when the going gets
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. –
• Managing client expectations – billing and the
• Improving billing and collection
• Alternative fee arrangements
• Best practices when increasing fees
– 2:30 p.m.
– 3:45 p.m.
the Internet and Social Media to Build Your Practice
• Website basics:
-Simple versus bells and whistles:
-How much will it cost?
• Website content:
-How to provide information without giving
away the store and opening yourself up to
• Using Facebook and Twitter and other social media
– 4:35 p.m.
Associates, Paralegals, and Support Staff
• Sources for hiring
• Hiring, firing, and retention of
• Professional development and
• Incentives for exemplary employees
– adjusting salary to employee output
• Creating exit procedures
• Emergency short-term employment
– staffing agencies, “onshoring” and
4:35 p.m. – 5:00
Question and Answer Segment – Get the Answers You Need
Fletcher, Esq., Office
of Anthony Q. Fletcher, PC, New York, NY
Craig S. Brown, Esq., B3 Legal LLC, New
C. Crystal, Esq., Novack Burnbaum Crystal LLP, New
Esq.,Clarick Gueron ReisbaumLLP,
New York, NY
Kanarek, JD, MSW, Career Management for Lawyers
(Affiliated with Kathleen Brady), New York, NY
Lieberman, Esq., Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP,
New York, NY
R. McCarron, Jr., Esq., Montes & McCarron
PLLC, New York, NY
Yankwitt, Esq., Yankwitt & McGuire LLP, New York,
MCLE Credits(4.5 Areas of Professional Practice, 1.5
Ethics, 1.5 Skills)
Law Practice Management CLE Program
Building a Successful Practice in New
York What You Need to Succeed
November 2, 2012 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Members - $175
Non-Members - $275
For questions about this program, please contact Kathy
Suchocki, Director of Law Practice Management at the New York State Bar
Association at (518) 487-5590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about law practice management resources
available to NYSBA members, visit www.nysba.org/LPM.
Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities: NYSBA welcomes participation by individuals with disabilities. NYSBA is committed to complying with all applicable laws that prohibit discrimination against individuals on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of its goods, services, programs, activities, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations. To request auxiliary aids or services or if you have any questions regarding accessibility, please
contact Cindy O'Brien at 800-582-2452 or email@example.com.
NEW YORK STATE BAR ASSOCIATION, ONE ELK STREET, ALBANY, NY 12207 PH: (518) 463-3200 SECURE FX: (518) 463-5993