WELCOME TO THE REAL PROPERTY LAW SECTION COMMUNITIES
Dear Real Property Law Section Members:
We are happy to introduce you to the NYSBA’s online professional communities and the upcoming launch of three new RPLS Communities tailored to our membership. These Communities will be a resource for our members to facilitate enhanced communications and networking between members. The RPLS will be able to capture communications between members and build a repository of real property law topics.
This announcement provides a general introduction to the NYSBA communities, provides basic instructions for their use and information as to how you establish or enhance your profile. It also includes an explanation for developing Communities dedicated to the RPLS membership and the transfer from the current Listserves to the RPLS Communities.
On January 5, 2015, we began a soft launch to allow some of our members to test the waters and communicate via the RPLS Communities. This both gave us an opportunity to incorporate suggestions to engineer a smooth launch and allowed us to establish content in the form of initial discussions submitted by these members.
After seeing that a number of the prior Listserve accounts had no activity within the past year and some had very few messages posted, a decision was made to proceed with three Communities formed from the membership of the most active Listserves. Beginning on April 6, 2015, you will no longer be able to post new messages on eight (8) of the eleven (11) existing Listserves however an archive of the prior posts will remain available for several months.
Launching the RPLS Communities
Effective April 6, 2015, the hard launch will take place and three new RPLS Communities will be activated:
- 1)The Real-Property Forum Community; and
- 2)The Real-Condos Community; and
- 3)The Real-Executive Community.
The prior members of the like-named Listserves will have their memberships transferred over to the new Communities. All current RPLS members will become members of the Real-Property Forum Community. The current members of the Committee on Condominiums and Cooperatives will become members of the Real-Condos Community. New members will be able to select their preferences upon joining. And the membership of the Real-Executive Community will be limited to members of the Executive Committee. As of April 24, 2015, no further postings may be made on the above-noted Listserves.
General Community Information
Community messages will have a different appearance and you may need to adjust your email filtering rules to allow the Community addresses into your In boxes. Specific instructions for Outlook and Gmail users will be provided on the RPLS portion of the NYSBA website as we move forward.
In addition to offering an online discussion feature, the new Communities provide a new tool called the Resource Library. This is an unlimited repository of information. Any member may add information to the Resource Library and any member may access information in the Resource Library. We envision this could be used to share a case, a form or newly issued memoranda. You will be able to post an item in the Resource Library simply by attaching a file to a discussion post just like you attach a document to an email message. The Resource Library can accept all types of files (PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, audio files, videos and links).
The Communities also offer an online searchable directory. Each user has a profile based on information provided to the NYSBA upon becoming a member. In addition, members will be able to adjust this information as you wish. Users can also update their profiles with additional information or add a photo. Our members will be able to import their LinkedIn profiles by clicking one button.
Community member profiles make up the member directory for a given Community and provide members of a common Community group with the opportunity to contact one another outside of formal discussion threads. Click here to view a short video outlining the basic aspects of Communities.
The NYSBA has focused on your internet privacy concerns in designing the Communities. NYSBA’s Communities allow users to control their personal privacy settings at all times and on every portion of their profiles. No commercial search engines are allowed to index information from NYSBA Communities and internal search results are only available to those logged in as members of that specific Community.
As mentioned above, current members of three RPLS Listserves will be automatically subscribed to the like new Community using existing subscription preferences.
Communities offer several options for access on your computer or with an App:
- Real Time: Members with Real Time subscription settings will receive messages from their group as they are posted. These are formatted HTML messages. Real Time subscribers may interact with their Community entirely through email. Real Time subscribers can reply to the discussion through their email or they may reply to either the sender or the discussion using the embedded links on the right side of every message. These right-hand links also make it easy to load content onto the Resource Library. Log in instructions are available below.
- Daily Digest: Members who choose to subscribe to the Daily Digest format will receive one email per day from their Community after messages on a certain topic have been posted. The Daily Digest compiles numerous messages into a string by topic and users can respond to various threads using the embedded links in the Digest. You can click on a specific thread or scroll to the bottom of your Daily Digest email for specific messages. At the top of each message are two options: Reply All Online (log-in required) or Reply All Email (operates like the current Listserves).
- Legacy: Subscribers who prefer a plain text display (the classic Listserve format with mime code) may select the Legacy format. Legacy subscribers will receive messages as they are posted and may participate through email only.
- Mobile App: A Communities mobile app is available to NYSBA members from the App Store or the Google Play Store but not via a Blackberry. Using the App is fast and easy. Search NYSBA in either store and download the app. Then, search under RPLS. You do not need to create a separate email account or log in. Community entries will come in one at a time but they can be searched by member name, by date or by a subject or term which was part of the entry.
Instructions to get started with NYSBA Communities online:
- 1.Go to www.nysba.org and click LOGIN on the top banner. Login with your NYSBA username and password. If you want to have the system remember your username and password, check the box below the LOGIN. (If you require assistance you may call the NYSBA Service Center at 800-582-2452.)
- 2.Once you have logged in, click Communities on the upper right or go directly to http://communities.nysba.org.
- 3.On your first visit to the Communities portion of the website, you will be asked to accept the Terms and Conditions. Review the document and click on “I agree.” at the bottom to continue.
- 4.Next click on your Profile in the upper right corner. Initially you will have a basic profile from the membership database which can be edited as you wish. This is the information that will be posted when you make an entry. You can also add a photo, enter additional information or load an existing LinkedIn profile. Here you can also manage your privacy settings from the “Privacy” tab on your Profile.
- 5.After you finish editing your profile, you can begin entering and using the RPLS Communities. In order to view the RPLS Communities to which you are automatically a member, click the Communities link on your profile (upper right corner of every page) or click on the Groups tab on the navigation bar and choose MyGroups from the dropdown menu.
- 6.Users can change their subscription settings to match their needs. You can manage your subscriptions from the MyProfile navigation link and the MyAccount sub-menu (Email Preferences). Current members of the RPLS will not need to select a subscription type as you will automatically be subscribed to your existing preferences. New members of the RPLS or those who have not previously used one of the three prior Listserves whose members will be transferred to one of the new Communities will need to set up subscription preferences when entering their first discussion post.
- 7.Members who require additional assistance may email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or requests for assistance.
We look forward to joining you in the Communities!