DRS Diversity Scholarships:
Frequently Asked Questions
What are DRS Diversity Scholarships?
Beginning in 2018, the Dispute Resolution Section of the NY State Bar Association (“DRS”) will award a maximum of 5 mediation training scholarships and 5 arbitration training scholarships each year, to encourage greater opportunities for minorities and women in the field of dispute resolution.
What do DRS Diversity Scholarship Recipients Receive?
The scholarships give
recipients the following benefits:
- Enrollment at no charge in either (1) three-day Mediation Training offered annually by DRS and the Supreme Court, NY County/Nassau County, or, subject to DRS approval, other mediation training offered outside the NY Metropolitan Area) or (2) the three-day Arbitration Training offered annually by DRS and the American Arbitration Association
- Free one-year membership in the DRS (and the NY State Bar Association if recipient is not a member), entitling recipients to a host of benefits including
- Opportunity to join and become active in one or more Section committees
- Discounted registration fees for DRS programs and events
- Receiving the DRS publication “The Dispute Resolution Lawyer; ”
- Guidance and advice from an experienced neutral to be assigned to the recipient
Who is Eligible for the Scholarships?
What are the Criteria for Awarding the Scholarships?
Anyone admitted to the bar in
New York may apply for the scholarships, although preference will be given to
minority and female applicants.
Applicants will be judged
based on their professional background and demonstrated interest in the field
of dispute resolution.
Is Financial Hardship a Requirement for Receiving a
The application asks whether applicants
have financial need, which will be one of the factors taken into account by the
DRS in awarding the scholarships.
Are Non-Diverse Attorneys with Financial Need Eligible
for Tuition Assistance to Attend the Trainings?
Any attorney with genuine
financial need may apply to the NYSBA for tuition assistance to attend
programs. Contact Sydney Joy for more information.
How do I apply for the Diversity Scholarship?
Please fill out the scholarship applications found here:
Diversity Scholarship Application for Mediation Training
Diversity Scholarship Application for Arbitration Training
Return completed application to Sydney Joy.
What is the Deadline for Applying and When are the
Training Sessions Offered?
Applications are due by January 19, but depending on the number of
applicants and scholarships awarded, applications received later may be
Note: The NYC mediation training is typically
offered in March; the arbitration training is typically offered in late June or