Music Business and Law Conference
November 15, 2019
New York Law School | 185 West Broadway | New York, NY 10013
Don't miss the EARLY BIRD SPECIAL! Take advantage of the special pricing that ends on 10/10!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: $219 for EASL Members - Register Today!
Cost to Attend:
EASL Section Members: EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: $219 for EASL Members | $249 after the early bird special (that ends on 10/10)
NYSBA Members: $289 (Join EASL Today for only $35 and save $40 on your registration)
Non-NYSBA Members: $339 | Law Students: $149 | Accountants receiving CPE Credits: $299
6.0 MCLE Credits / 7.0 CPE Credits: This program is not transitional and therefore does not qualify for newly admitted attorneys The majority of this course is approved for credit for experienced attorneys only. This course is not transitional and therefore will not qualify for credit for newly admitted attorneys (admitted to the New York Bar for less than two years).
EASL – MUSIC BUSINESS LAW CONFERENCE – NOVEMBER 15, 2019
This year’s Music Business and Law Conference features a variety of speakers from law, finance, and business, with panels focusing on global perspectives, building brands, income streams, tax, and practical concerns for the music artist advisor.
Panels and Program
8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. Registration and Breakfast
8:45 a.m. -9:00 a.m. Opening Remarks / Overview of the Day
9:00 a.m. -10:30 a.m. 1. THE BASICS: ARTIST REVENUE STREAMS
- Jared Leibowitz, Esq., General Counsel Vydia, Inc.
- Tim Dadson, Esq., Deputy General Counsel, SoundExchange
- Jason Berger, Esq., Partner, Margolis Edelstein
- Erika Stallings, Esq., BMI
- Michael Simon, Esq., President, Rumblefish
- Liz Norris, Activist
10:40 a.m. - 11:40 a.m. 2A. COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION CHALLENGES
- Joyce S. Dollinger, Esq., Moderator
- Robert J. Kasunic, Esq., Assoc. Reg. of Copyrights, Dir. Registration Policy and Practice, US Copyright Office
- Sy Damle, Esq., Latham & Watkins LLP
2B. BLANKET LICENSING / EU DIRECTIVE – US AND INTERNATIONAL
- Marc Jacobson, Esq., Marc Jacobson, P.C.
- Ellis S. Rich, OBE, Hon. DMus, CEO Supreme Songs Ltd., fmr. Chairman PRS/MCPS
- Ann Sweeney, Esq., SVP International/Global Policy, BMI
11:50 a.m. - 12:50 p.m. 3A. MUSIC MODERNIZATION ACT – PRACTICAL EFFECTS
- Regan A. Smith, Esq. General Counsel, Assoc. Reg. of Copyrights, US Copyright Office
- Danielle Aguirre, Esq., EVP and General Counsel, NMPA
- Charles J. Sanders, Esq., Counsel to Songwriters Guild of America
3B. NOTES PLAYABLE AND NOTES PAYABLE: TRENDS IN PUBLISHING AND MASTER CATALOG TRANSACTIONS
- Christopher Hull, CPA, Moderator, Prager Metis CPAs
- Austin Jacobs, CPA, Prager Metis CPAs – London
- Barry Massarsky, Massarsky Consulting
- Lisa K. Alter, Esq., Alter, Kendrick, Baron
- Neil Gillis, President, Round Hill Music
12:50 p.m. - 1:05 p.m. LUNCH / KEYNOTE
1:05 p.m. - 2:10 p.m. TOP BUSINESS AND LEGAL EXECUTIVES AT UNIVERSAL/REPUBLIC RECORDS
-Monte Lipman, Co-Founder and CEO of Republic Records
-Avery Lipman, Co-Founder and President of Republic Records
-Steve Gawley, Esq., EVP Bus/Legal, Universal Music Group, East Coast Labels
-Daniel Getz, Esq., SVP Bus/Legal, Universal Music Group, Republic Records
Moderated by: Larry S. Miller, Clinical Assoc. Prof. /Director, Music Business Program, NYU Steinhardt
2:20 p.m. - 3:20 p.m. 4A. KEY FINANCIAL BUILDING BLOCKS FOR BAND MERCH
- Lewis Stark, CPA - Moderator - Prager Metis CPAs - New York
- Dell Furano, President, Epic Rights – Los Angeles
- Tahir Basheer, Esq., Sheridan’s – London
- Jed Ferdinand, Esq.,– New York
4B. DIVERSITY FOCUS: DISRUPTING BIAS
- Cheryl L. Davis, Esq. General Counsel, Authors Guild
- Jill Pilgrim, Esq., Pilgrim & Associates Law Offices
- Deborah Robinson, Esq., Viacom, Inc.
- Joshua Zuckerberg, Esq., Pryor Cashman
3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. 5. LITIGATION UPDATE ON THE MUSIC FRONT
- Robert W. Clarida, Esq., Reitler, Kailas & Rosenblatt LLC
- Sandra A. Crawshaw-Sparks, Esq., Partner, Proskauer Rose
- Daniel J. Aaron, Esq., Daniel J. Aaron, P.C.
- Cynthia S. Arato, Esq., Partner, Shapiro Arato Bach LLP
- Richard S. Mandel, Esq., Partner, Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman
Questions? Contact Kristina Maldonado @ [email protected]
Discounts and Scholarships: New York State Bar Association members and non-members may apply for a discount or scholarship to attend this program, based on financial hardship. This discount applies to the educational portion of the program only. Under that policy, any member of our Association or non-member who has a genuine basis of his/her hardship, if approved, can receive a discount or scholarship, depending on the circumstances. To apply for a discount or scholarship, please send your request in writing to Kristina Maldonado at: New York State Bar Association, One Elk Street, Albany, New York 12207 or [email protected].
Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities: NYSBA welcomes participation by individuals with disabilities. NYSBA is committed to complying with all applicable laws that prohibit discrimination against individuals on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of its goods, services, programs, activities, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations. To request auxiliary aids or services or if you have any questions regarding accessibility, please contact Kristina Maldonado at (518) 487.5588 or [email protected].