or email@example.com (confidential e-mail)
Lisa M. Yaeger, Esq., LAC Chair
Hon. Karen K. Peters, JWC Chair
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The New York State Bar Association Lawyer Assistance Program (LAP) provides education and confidential assistance to lawyers, judges, law school students, and immediate family members who are affected by the problem of substance abuse, stress, depression
or other mental health issues. Its goal is to assist in the prevention, early identification and intervention of problems that can affect professional conduct and quality of life.
All LAP services are confidential and protected under
Section 499 of the Judiciary Law as amended by Chapter 327 of the Laws of 1993.
are confidential, voluntary, free and include:
- Early identification of impairment;
- intervention and motivation of impaired attorneys to seek help;
- assessment, evaluation and development of an appropriate treatment plan;
- referral of impaired attorneys to community resources, self-help groups, outpatient counseling, detoxification and rehabilitation services;
- information and referral for depression;
- and training programs on alcoholism, drug abuse and stress management.
Establishing a LAWYERS HELPING LAWYERS committee
Click HERE to learn more about establishing a Lawyers Helping Lawyers committee in your local area.
EUGENE BRANNIGAN, ESQ. RECEIVES FRANKLIN P. GAVIN MEMORIAL AWARD
Eugene Brannigan, Esq. is the recipient of the 2017 Franklin P. Gavin Memorial Award, presented by NYSBA’s Lawyer Assistance Committee.
The annual award recognizes an individual who has contributed to assisting lawyers in recovery.
RICHARD REID, ESQ. RECEIVES RAYMOND P. O'KEEFE MEMORIAL AWARD
Richard Reid, Esq. was awarded the 2017 Raymond P. O'Keefe Memorial Award (posthumously).
MODEL POLICY ADDRESSING IMPAIRMENT ISSUES
On April 10, 2010 the New York State Bar Association's
House of Delegates and Executive Committee approved a Model Policy to assist
bar associations, law firms and other legal departments in addressing impairment
LAC Model Policy