The mission of the Committee on Appellate Practice is to improve the quality of appellate representation of clients in commercial litigation, provide a forum for the improvement of law and practice as it relates to appellate litigation, and promote collegiality and networking among like-minded appellate lawyers and judges.
The Committee serves its mission by:
- Writing and speaking about matters of interest to appellate lawyers and judges, including publishing articles in the NY Litigator and preparing reports for the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section's Executive Committee;
- Developing continuing legal education programs specific to appellate litigation;
- Sponsoring bench-bar initiatives on appellate practice; and
- Working with other Commercial and Federal Litigation Section Committees and other NYSBA Sections on issues of shared interest.
The Committee on Appellate Practice is co-chaired by Suzanne O. Galbato, Bond, Schoeneck & King, PLLC and James M. McGuire, Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, LLP
- Report on certification practices in the Second Circuit
- Practice guides for Appellate Divisions – these will be prepared on a rolling basis, beginning with the Second and Fourth Departments
- CLE Program on leave taking to New York Court of Appeals
- Report on interlocutory appeals in state courts (in collaboration with Complex Civil Litigation Committee)
Join the Committee